Saturday, March 11, 2017

Madonoko- Window Saw




So this is a miserable saw. I think I was trying to do some fancy four-facet tooth on it but failed miserably. Am I old enough yet to hate my teenage self? I'm legally an adult now, right? 

It skates across the work, doesn't cut at all. So I figured it's as good a candidate I can get for an attempt at a madonoko/window saw profile. Should I use 'madonoko', or just say window saw?



More pics showing how the teeth seem to all slant in different directions. Strong independent teeth, don't need no unity. 



This is one part of the saw that's original, surprisingly, from when I first got it. I later found out that the little area there is super-hard steel, the file tends to skate off it rather than dig in and, ya know, file off material. 


First I jointed the teeth until they were even, pretty much half their previous height. 


Broke off the teeth with a needlenose pliers, going with the pattern of 5 teeth, break a tooth, then 20 teeth left near the handle. You can see where I accidentally broke off an adjacent tooth, causing a big gap in the middle. 




The long slow filing of the gap. 

[Source: http://blog.douglasbrooksboatbuilding.com/]

This is the goal. Uniform teeth, one rip tooth, four crosscut, a window twice as deep as the teeth height, with a rounded bottom, slightly diagonal.

There is probably a hundred other details to be observed in this photo, but I am both too inexperienced and also tired at the moment to pick up on them all and list them. 


Window depth seems to be near matching. Slight differences appear. 



Turning the misshapen rectangles back into proper crosscut teeth. The first half are done in this pic, I think. 


And here's where we are. The first window I tried using the mill file to remove material from the window, which was a bad, bad idea. It's too big and too sharp, one stroke went too deep and almost filed off the rip tooth.

The rest of the windows look good except for the one where two teeth snapped off...

Hey, it'll look good with beer goggles on, right?


First cut is done inside as I finished at 10PM and it's way, way too cold outside. Brought in some fresh eastern white cedar that got taken out by the storm. Using my stool/cajon drum as a sawhorse. Hope it doesn't mind.


And man, does this thing cut! From the slowest, most frustrating saw to work with to one of my fastest saws. The handle feels dry and a bit small, it's split down the middle, but it works great. I'll have to try it on some dry hardwood next!


And nicely wrapped with another ryoba I was sharpening the rip teeth of. Not much to talk about there, just a slight touch up. 


In other news, joined the local makerspace. Can't wait to learn how to use these. 


Biggest 3D printer I've ever seen!

I'll have to make a toolbox, there's a really nice wood-shop but it's recommended not to leave your precious hand-tools there. I'll also see what storage space I'll have at Morrisville, I think the woodworking professor said there's lockers. Maybe a disposable dozuki, maybe a ryoba, some chisels, hammer, and my kanna...I should get another one. Yes, that's the perfect excuse. Kanna are nice and light weight, perfect for travelling with. 





No comments:

Post a Comment