The woodwind section.
So, first things first, starting with last week's work: I sharpened up the crosscut saw.
Then got to work, it cuts well but it's hard to use a foot off the ground. The log in question weighs probably around six hundred pounds; none of us can lift it.
Meeko helps clean up every time branches fall down!
You can kind of see the log to the right there.
I tried splitting the giant log...I knew it wants to be split vertical, but I want it to be horizontally. The log won this round.
So, I worked on one of the saws, got it all nice and shiny except for the teeth. The signature on this one used to be very faint, now it's visible, I'll try taking a picture next time.
I found this in the metal, it's strange, it isn't on the other side.
I sharpened the rip side, but forgot to only sharpen the side facing away from me. As such, I had to stone that side until the saw started cutting straight again.
The saw stand is full, but I still have saws to hang...
So, here are pictures of the tooth profile of the dozuki, the best ones I could get.
It has an extremely thin kerf
I listened to Sebastian and made a new saw vise. A softwood wedge works much better, but there was a gap in one side so I used duct tape as a shim. I think it's caused by the wedge, my planing technique is a bit off so one side is thicker than the other; the looseness is where the wedge is thick.
I used eastern white pine, hopefully it will last; I put in seven screws from each side. I love eastern white pine, it dents very very easily but it works very well, and it smells great. It smells like home, like drinking apple cider next to a log fire.
Finished up a cross today, I made it loose enough to be easily taken out to be hung on the wall, but still snug to give a satisfying fit. I found this nice piece of live edge, thought it'd pair well as a base, it seems like it did.
Life is rapid in the school year!