So. Ran into quite a bit of problems involving epoxy and plexiglass that set back the library finish date.
This library is taking quite a while.
So, I got out my axe, and started hewing up some lumber from the maple branches, using a chalk line and a level to make the marks to hew to.
I was going to split this to make into a shaving horse, but I noticed just how crooked this thing is, there's no way to get a clean split here. Did not want to spend the next five weeks sawing this thing, so I decided to hew it in the chance I can use it in the future. Plus, this is real fun work.
One thing, Stanley chalk lines SUCK.
Just awful. I got one nice clear line, but the others are really fuzzy and barely noticeable. Really thick cotton string, really hard to get the chalk to get on the string and then it falls off the string when unraveling it...
Still a ways to go.
So, Gabe mentioned he is having trouble cutting dovetails at an angle.
For me, I'd be having the same trouble cutting at a bench: Pretty much everything is new to me.
I am having a lot of trouble cutting dovetails in small sides, and I found holding the piece like this really helps.
The accuracy seems to have improved. This time I went with two tails, and they look more like box joints than anything.