Monday, July 13, 2015

Canoe Carrier #2



Right, so here's my hole for the sashi-sen (Did I write that correctly? Probably not!). I really did no thinking, just went with what my soul told me to do. I did know it was supposed to be tapered, and roughly shaped like a parallelogram. 




So, I went at it with more split pine, and hammered it in. This side, I used oak for the dovetail...

It got me thinking. Is pine a bad choice for the tapered key? Pine compresses really easily, that may be good or bad...

The joint is still loose. The key did tighten it up, just not as tight as a set of dovetails or the...hold on... sumitome hozo sashi. I feel like if I wasn't so lazy, and had flattened the hickory instead of working from it's riven state, the joint would've been much tighter. 


anyways, I cut the key flush then left the dovetail portruding from the tenon. I just wanted a quick and dirty canoe carrier before more rain comes. 





And here it is in action! They came out nicely: I wanted plain, rustic carriers.  Probably will have to slather some polyurethane on them, at least on the bottom: The humidity around here rots exposed wood in weeks.



I got my 75mm feather edge file today: For some reason, one side is completely smooth from what I can tell...no teeth or anything. Surprisingly, it cuts extremely fast: I cut two rip teeth in four passes in scrap steel, the same steel I cut the profiles of my saw files in. My 100mm file didn't cut so well. I really want to get some nice thin O1 or W1 steel and make my own dozuki, or a really fine toothed kataba now. 




 One of the twin maples got a haircut today. The maple will be too wet to make into charcoal, I think; I have half a tub of charcoal, anyhow. A big thing is I realized the pipe to my forge is too narrow, at 3/4". I am thinking of making a 2" nozzle of mud mixed with ash to make the pipe wider as it enters the forge.

First, I have to clear the wood; my dad thinks we may need to rent a chain saw. Some branches are easily two feet thick. Couldn't do any forging today, we had to move the firepit and the forge to trim the tree. I did get a nice 2" thick maple slice that I will use to sit on when forging. I'm just going to push a sledgehammer head into the ground for now, until I get a nice railroad track. I'm still wondering whether I should mount the track vertical for the most weight, or mount it horizontally for the most surface area.




Oh, and if this post wasn't long enough...

Project Mayhem #4

This one I can see my self using...A nice hidden tenon. It was either this or this one:

It seems like the bottom one may be easier...But then again, there is no room for error. Make the wedges too long, and the joint won't sit too flush. Make the wedges too short, the tenon is wiggling slightly.

Think the top one will do nicely. Challenging yourself is what this is all about, isn't it?

                                            First things first, gotta make a mini-free library.

6 comments:

  1. Katasage Ari, nice choice. Were kind of doing variations on a theme of the wedge, are we not? Does the book specify a ratio for the taper of the wedge? I can't make it out from the screen shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's where I got the screenshot: https://fabiap.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/wood-joints-in-classical-japanese-architecture.pdf

      A lot of joints in there!

      Delete
    2. Just got to the library, to make the most of our limited data connection I poach whenever possible. GREAT BOOK! Thanks for the link!

      Oh my!

      Delete
  2. Library yes! Please do. That would be a great project!

    A great choice for #4. I'll try to be more timely with this one, haha. I'm still writing up the last, but that part is important for me as well.

    Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and....not a fan of railroad track. Better than nothing, but surprisingly soft and VERY loud. If you are mostly making little stuff like blades /tools/knives, I would get the biggest oldest sledgehammer that you can find, then have a welder fix a spike to the bottom. Hammer it into a big**s stump, instant post anvil. A decent one as well. It might not be as hard as you want later on, but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up! I do have a large crosspein sledgehammer in the shed, and a good friend is a welder, as well as an extremely talented mechanic.

      Delete