So, back to the Dead Scrub Plane.
It turns out, the first two replacement soles were the only VISIBLE sole repairs. There were more sole repairs when I removed the split sole. For this one, I just cut off the protruding nails and filed them smooth.
I then Glued in some maple. Should've scavenged a plane body I have (I took it's blade, the blade wasn't a matching blade; it was too small to fit properly), but Maple looks nice.
On one side, there is red paint, dappled with white specks and scratched in places. Some nails are visible.
On the other side, there is no paint, just that lovely patina from wood being greased up year after year. If the plane had this patina everywhere, I wouldn't do the next step.
Yep, I sanded it all off. Could've hand scraped it, but my harbor freight file went dull a long time ago.
After roughing out a wedge, I tested it out. It works, the blade on this is nice. Kind of hard to use on the ground, though. I'll have to look for some spare Danish oil, the plane seems dull at the moment.
After that, I made the trough to heat treat the draw knife in. Will probably deepen it, as it is there will be one inch of water above the knife.